In this paper we present the film philadelphia as an exemplary text for teaching business ethics for this purpose, we show students three scenes from the film and guide them as they engage in ethical reasoning through the exercise, students should: understand the nature of ethical dilemmas understand. Ethical dilemma 2: business partners barbara provides tax services for a general partnership client with two partners one partner has a 70% share of the partnership, and the other has the remaining 30% share the majority partner also engages barbara separately to provide individual tax preparation. What would you do if you felt your professional ethics were being compromised find out here. It has been a busy year in business ethics and corporate social responsibility from the cheating carmaker to the price-gouging pharma-bro, to the coffee company that wanted us to have a casual chat about race with the barista, the year has been a cornucopia of case studies in the ethics of commerce. Education case studies using case studies to analyze ethical dilemmas is an effective technique for providing a common discussion point on a variety of issues and ethical decision making models a case study may be a journalistic account of events or a personal account, either actual or fictionalized in either instance.
I would suggest, however, that depending upon prior exposure, you might read the introductory material and choose a few of the case studies or dilemmas for classroom discussion instructors section five ethics and social responsibility of business includes cases and material on moral theories and business ethics. During the period 1987-94 arthur andersen funded a $5 million joint project with 525 universities to raise awareness of ethical issues in business this collection of 90 case studies is one product of that effort all participating universities, including carnegie mellon, have license to use these materials and reproduce them as. The empirical study involves multiple qualitative case studies of multi-national corporations of transparency and governance in china (5 cases of multinational companies, and 1 corporate governance code) in this paper, we are not arguing on the role of governance as a control or reporting initiative for corruption, but its.
Professional accountants may, from time to time, encounter ethical dilemmas when discharging their roles and responsibilities ethical dilemmas are never easy to resolve through our case studies, we hope to provide more insights to professional accountants on some of these ethical dilemmas and what they may do. Business ethics a case study approach to ethical dilemmas and decision making in the workplace, published by acm 1993 article bibliometrics data bibliometrics citation count: 0 downloads (cumulative): 1,885 downloads ( 12 months): 31 downloads (6 weeks): 1.
During the period 1987-94 arthur andersen funded a $5 million joint project with 525 universities to raise awareness of ethical issues in business this collection of 90 case studies is one product of that effort all participating universities, including usc, have license to use these materials and reproduce them as needed for. Abstract this case study describes the dilemma faced by the general manager of a three-section division in a large federal bureaucratic organization that has a powerful and aggressive union presence an investigator from the criminal investigation division (cid) who is a close personal friend of the general manager, has. Easily reconciled on the one hand, it is good business practice to work closely with your clients on the other hand, you will sometimes be expected to challenge their decisions, and even distance yourself from them resolving ethical dilemmas these case studies are compatible with the ethical codes of the ccab member.